Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Home Tour Tuesday {the kitchen}

Welcome to our kitchen!
When we first bought our house in 2008, one of things that really sold me was the kitchen.  I loved the red walls.  I just saw so much potential in the kitchen.  When we first bought it, it didn't have any hardware on the cabinets, all white appliance and white formica countertops.
We put the hardware on the cabinets immediately after we moved in, then I used all my summer school money from my first summer of teaching to put in granite countertops.  The next summer we put in stainless steel appliances.  
The door on the right goes out to our covered patio.  I love how our kitchen overlooks our living room so I can always feel like I'm with the boys while their playing and I'm cooking or cleaning up dinner.
Another thing I love about our kitchen is the large dining area.  We don't have a formal dining room so it's nice that we have a big eating area.  The door on the right goes to our walk-through laundry room to the garage.  
 I used to have a little desk in this corner, but I found this hall tree off a garage sale site for $90 and then painted it with Annie Sloan paint.  I just love how it adds a little pop of color to my kitchen.  I also painted Pearson little chair (also a garage sale site find for only $3) to match.  
 I thought about taking all of Pearson's artwork off the fridge for these pictures, but I decided to leave them up because his art is just part of our kitchen.  There's always something up there!! The door on the left goes into my amazing pantry! And the arch on the right goes into the hallway to the front door and the boys room.
This picture doesn't really even do my pantry justice.  It's so nice and big.  I'm really going to miss it.  The one in our new house isn't quite this big, but I do have more cabinets so works out!
Matt gave me the pot rack for Christmas.  It was so nice to be able to take all of my pots and pans out of the cabinets and clear space for other things.  When we put the granite countertops in, we also added the overhang on the island so we could have a place to sit in the kitchen.  
Join me next week for a tour of our Living Room. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

The kitchen's red walls had me charmed as well. You'd think red walls are too dark and gloomy, but paired with the right pieces of mint green furniture, it's absolutely whimsical and lovely. Even the pantry being messy looks charming to me, Katy. I'm so in love with your kitchen, that I'm actually envious. Hahaha! Thanks for giving us that lovely tour! All the best to you!

Willard Evans @ Wow Homes