Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Big Boy Bed {take 2}

It feels like just yesterday we were moving Pearson to his big boy bed.  

Oh wait, it was just a little over a year ago that we were doing this with Pearson. Pearson was in his crib until he was 3 years and 7 months old.  Nash is only 2 years 2 months old.  We are doing it WAY sooner this go round, not because we wanted to, but because we had to.  Nash climbed out of his crib for the first time sometime before Christmas. He only did it once but would try every now and then.  Every time we put him to bed we would just watch his monitor like a hawk to make sure he wasn't trying to climb out.  I thought we were smooth sailing in our crib until all the sudden last night he climbed out 4 times.  We probably could have pushed it a little longer but I was just so scared he would fall the wrong way and break his neck.  Definitely not worth the risk.
 Matt got to work last night converting the crib to the toddler bed.
Pearson even got in on the help.  And of course his tongue had to join! Ha!
 Nash was so excited he hopped right in his bed before we even put the mattress back in.
 When we were all finished putting it together, he crawled right in and laid right down.  You could tell he felt like such a big boy.
When it was time for bed, we did our bedtime routine as normal…….told Daddy & Bubba night-night, read Big Red Barn, read Brown Bear Brown Bear, read our Bible story, said our prayers, sang Jesus Loves Me, gave him his "meh-sin" (zyrtec), tucked Mickey in, then tucked him in.  He laid right now and I had high hopes that he would go to sleep just as he always does.  
Night-Night big boy!!
 After we got finished with Pearson's bedtime prayers, we checked the monitor.  He sat up and laid down about 4 or five times, but finally ended up sitting up.  I kept thinking the monitor was frozen because he literally sat up in the same position just staring off into space for 45 minutes.  He finally came out of his room and started crying.  I made him go back in his bed, but he would scream and get out when I would start to leave.  I finally just sat in his rocking chair.  He stayed in his bed but cried and cried and cried.  After about 10 minutes of crying, he sighed really big, then laid down. He finally just gave up.  It wasn't long before he fell asleep and I slipped out.
It took about an hour and half longer for him to go to sleep than normal, but I didn't think that was too bad for his first night.  He slept all night and woke up at 6:30.  He sat up for a few minutes then laid back down and slept until 7:15.  I'd call that a successful first night!
 For his first nap time, he laid right down and fell asleep within 5 minutes.  I have his Mother's Day Out teachers to thank for this.  They sleep on mats at MDO and his teachers always say he is the first to fall asleep.  I guess when you play hard you sleep hard.
I just laid him down for bed and it went just like it always did in his crib.  No fussing at all.  He laid right down and was asleep in about 10 minutes.  

We are so proud of our big boy!  He's growing up way to fast.  
Now if we could just get rid of that paci!!!


Alisa said...

So proud of our big boy for adjusting so well to his big boy bed!