Tuesday, January 21, 2014

chocolate cherry brownies

This is a special recipe to me because it's the first thing that Matt and I cooked together.  When we were first dating, Matt had to make a dessert for a work event.   He got his favorite recipe from his Mom, we headed to the store to get all the ingredients and made these brownies together at his apartment.  I didn't get to try them because he had to take them to work, but at the end of his day he told me that all of his co-workers loved them.  Once I made them again and got to try them for myself I knew why everyone loved them!! They are so yummy and definitely one of our favorite desserts to make!!

Chocolate Cherry Brownies

1 (16 oz.) jar maraschino cherries 

2/3 c. butter or margarine

1 (6oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips, 

divided

1 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs, beaten

1 ¼ c. flour

¾ c. oatmeal

1 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. vegetable shortening

Heat oven to 350°. Drain cherries; reserve 12 and chop reminder. In large saucepan, melt 
butter and ½ cup chocolate chips over low heat; stir until melted. Remove from heat; cool 
slightly. Add sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in combined dry ingredients, and chopped cherries. Spread into greased 9 X 13-inch baking dish or pan. Bake about 25 minutes or until 
brownies pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely.
Halve reserved cherries; place on top of brownies. In heavy saucepan over low heat, melt 
remaining ½ cup chocolate chips and shortening; stir until mixture is melted and smooth. 
Drizzle over brownies; cut into 2 ½ inch squares. Store in airtight container.

**I don't put the chocolate drizzle on mine because I think it makes it a little too chocolatey, but if you are a true chocolate lover then you won't want to skip out on the extra chocolate drizzle!!

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Rachel Zimm said...

These sound delicious, Katy!
www.floralandfudge.blogspot.com

Meredith said...

Oh my! I love chocolate and cherries so I am going to have to try these. Yum!
Meredith