Wednesday, July 21, 2010

chicken pot pie

 Matt absolutely loves Chicken Pot Pie.  

This recipe hit the spot not only for Matt, but for me too!!  The best thing about Chicken Pot Pie is that you don't have to make anything to go with it.  It's your meat, bread and vegetable all in one dish!!

Here's what you'll need....
Pie Crust
Frozen bag of carrots, onions, & celery
{You are more than welcome to cut up fresh veggies, but Kroger has them all in one bag for 88¢}
1/2 cup of frozen peas
2 cups of cooked shredded chicken
1 cup of flour
2 cups of chicken broth
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
Pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Melt the butter in a large pan.  Add the cut veggies and cook over a medium heat until translucent.

Add the chicken and sprinkle the flour on top.  Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes.

Pour in the chicken broth, add the bouillon cube and stir until bouillon cube is melted.

Add the heavy cream and stir.  Cook the mixture over a low, thickening gradually, for 4-5 minutes.  Season with the thyme, salt, and pepper.

Pour the mixture into a glass pie pan.

Lay the crust on top of the mixture.  Press the crust onto the edge of the pie pan and cut a few slices in the middle of the crust. 

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.  

Dig in!!
And enjoy!!

You can find more of The Pioneer Woman recipes here.

3 comments:

Lolly said...

I'm so glad you put this up. I've been wanting to try your recipe. I wonder if I could use milk instead of cream to cut a FEW calories? Plus, I never have cream on hand.

Lolly said...

Check in your cookbook - I think it is only 1/4 cup flour instead of 1 cup. You also didn't say how much butter. I looked on line to check & saw the flour. I thought 1 cup sounded like a lot. I may try it this week.

Christina said...

I have a recipe for chicken pot pie that I normally use, But I couldn't find it so I used yours the other night. Doug took a bite and said "This is the bomb". Great recipe especially if the husby likes it ;)