Sunday, January 01, 2012

2012 resolutions


It's officially 2012 so you know what that means!!!

It's time for some New Year's Resolutions.  I feel like New Year's Resolutions are kind of "going out of style".  Nobody likes to make 'em then break 'em so they just don't do them anymore.  Well I'm old fashion and I'm going to keep making them.  I like to use January 1st as a day to focus on what I want to do, things I want to accomplish, and/or things I want to quit doing.  If I don't succeed at all of them, I'm totally okay with it.  I just like to set goals for myself!!

Here were my resolutions from last year.  Let's see how I did......

1.  I want to read my 365 day devotional book and be more intentional about my time with the Lord.  
**I was pretty inconsistent with this one all year long.  I'm hoping to do a better job on this one since Matt and I are doing the ESV Study Bible Plan together. 

2.  Complete Project 365 by taking one picture a day.
**I did great January and February, but then I got really tired of taking pictures of food and my dog.  Once Pearson was born, I'm sure I took a picture everyday, I just didn't take the time to upoad it onto the website.  

3.  Comment more on other people's blogs.
**I definitely did this.  And I totally think the more you comment on blogs, the more comments you get on your own!!

4.  Try one new recipe a week.  (atleast until the baby comes)
**I'm glad I added the "until the baby comes" part to this resolution because I did pretty good until Pearson came along!!

5.  Quit picking my finger nails.  (I've quit picking 8 of them, since my pre-natal vitamins make them grow like crazy, but for some reason I still pick on both of my middle fingers! Funny huh?)
**Ahhhhhh I did so good on this one until recently.  Pre-Natal vitamins did wonders for my nails, so I had them al grown out all throughout my pregnancy and even up until recently.  I haven't been diligent in taking my vitamins lately and my nails are consequently not as healthy, so I've picked them all off again.  Grrrrr.....stupid bad habit. 

6.  Continue to coupon and bring my grocery budget down even more. 
**Eeeeeekkkk!!! I have completely fallen off of the couponing bandwagon since Pearson was born.  I started getting frustrated with coupon earlier this year because of the stupid "Extreme Couponing" show on TLC.  I feel like it has ruined couponing.  I felt like everytime I made my list, gathered my coupons and went to the store everything was gone.  So frustrating.  Now that Pearson is here, I just haven't made time for it.  I have got to get back on this because we are a single income family now. 

7.  Work out 2-3 times a week throughout my pregnancy and hopefully even more after the baby.
**I would say I did this pretty well until Thanksgiving!  I worked out/went on walks all throughout my pregnancy, and as soon as I was cleared from my doctor to work out again I started doing videos and going on lots of walks with Pearson. Time to get back on track though!!

8.  Floss my teeth.
**I just hate flossing my teeth and I just can't make it a habit. I've decided it's only neccesary to floss my teeth the week before I go to the dentist.  It's just enough flossing to not make my teeth bleed when they floss them! Ha!! 
Sara Cozad-If you are reading this, don't tell Ben I said this!!) 

9.  Write in our Blessing Book.
**Ooops....I totally forgot about this one.  

10.  Enjoy every moment of my pregnancy and cherish every moment with our sweet babe. 
**I most certainly enjoyed every moment of my pregnancy and I have cherished every moment with our little guy.  I definitely did the best on this goal!!


Here are my resolutions for 2012....



1. Read the Entire Bible!!
**Matt and I are doing the ESV Study Guide Plan on our iPhone along with our church.  I'm so excited to have Matt to keep me accountable.

2.  Run a 5K
**I have absolutely no desire to run a half marathon or marathon, but I think a 5K is totally doable.  When it warms up a little I plan on doing a Couch to 5K program and put my new Nike Plus Ap to use!!

3.  Project Life (or atleast my own version of it)
**I'm so excited to finally start this!! My SIL is also doing it, so I'll have a partner in crime!!

4.  Organize
**I want to go through every drawer/closet in our house and get rid of stuff we don't need.

5.  Wake up before Pearson
**I've gotten in such a bad habit of sleeping until Pearson wakes me up.  I want to start waking up at 7am (which is around the time Matt leaves for work) and get things done before Pearson wakes up at 7:30 or 8:00.

6.  Set 30 minutes a day aside to read (atleast 5 days a week)
**This is another goal Matt is doing with me.  We want to set time aside each evening to just sit in a quiet house without the TV on and read.  I haven't read a book in so long.  I have no idea what I'm going to read.  Probably baby/parenting books! Ha!

7.  Read a book a day to Pearson
**Pretty self explanatory.  Sadly, I haven't done a very good job of reading to Pearson.  I have so many book and I am a former teacher.  I have no excuse.

8.  Get back into couponing
**We are a single income family now, so I have got to get back into couponing and saving money.  It's time to get my grocery budget back under control!!

9.  Utilize Pinterest
**I have so many pins and I don't do a dang thing with them.  I want to make new recipes, put together new outfits, do crafty projects, plan Pearson's 1st birthday and lots more!!

10.  Be a better wife, mother, daughter, & friend. 
**I know this is a cheesy cliche resolution, but I really want to be a better person.  I am so selfish sometimes and I just to work on putting others before myself more often.  Can't we all try to be a better person??

14 comments:

Alicia said...

Ok so kind of random but I saw that extreme couponing show from TLC and thought it was crazy. Both Ray and I discussed it with his sisters who also were watching and thought these people were crazy especially those who were stock piling and they had rooms that looked like something you would see for an end of day senerio. Anyway I bragged about you saying ok there are ways of doing this that are beneficial plus you use some of those extras to donate. So anyway good luck with this and all of your wonderful goals for the new year! I too am a fan of setting a focus for my year:)

Hooked on the Howards said...

We weren't at church Sunday, so I haven't heard about the read through the Bible thing the church is doing. However, I bought a Bible that is broken into days and gives you a little passage to read each day. So we can help keep each other accountable.

The Fenner's said...

We have a few of the same ones! I am already on my organizing kick:)

You will. Love couch 2 5k! I did it when dylan was about 5 months old an ran 2 5ks, then a half marathon(12 weeks pregnant) I don't recommend doing that!!! I'm actually starting the program again tomorrow with a friend of mine! Enjoy and Happy New Year:)

The Fenner's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Roberts' said...

It's hard to wake up before a baby! I can't remember when I started, but I so enjoy my time in the morning now before Elliot wakes up. I shower, spend time with Jesus & drink coffee, & maybe get laundry & stuff started. I never want to sleep in anymore if I have the chance, because I want my morning alone time!

Allie said...

Please blog about project life!!

Christine said...

Re: Your 2011 Review -
#3 - Thanks for the comments! :)
#4 - Definitely tough with baby.
#6 - Completel agree! I hate getting myself all organized for my trip only to find there is nothing on the shelf for more than half of my items. It's so frustrating.

Re: Your 2011 List -
#2 - You can do it! It can be addicting. You may be suprised to find yourself doing a half marathon. :)
#7 - We read to Naomi before each nap and before bed, so 3 times a day. I always read board books and Brian reads her baby bible to her. It's a good routine, helps her know that it's naptime, etc.
#s 4-6 and 8-10 - Me too!

Enjoyed your post and Happy New Year!

Sara @ The Crazy Cozads said...

HAHAHA, Katy!! I laughed out loud when I saw your note about flossing! Don't feel bad - I'm married to him and I STILL don't floss every day...or every week. I'd say it's more like monthly and that's an improvement! :D

Good job on your 2011 goals and best wishes on your 2012! I'll be looking forward to reading about the updates!

Happy New Year!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

I really love your resolutions and share so many of them. I have to say, I think you did pretty well in 2011, too!

Tammy @ Next To Grace said...

In interms of books, if you are looking for a fun read The Hunger games may be a good place to start. There are three in the series but you could just read the first one and then see if you want to continue.

Julie said...

I also resolved to get back into couponing. Around the time we bought our house I was just tired of it and felt like I had no time, but I really want to get back into it now that I have room to store my "stockpile". And I totally agree Extreme Couponing ruined couponing for us "normal" couponers! I'm so sad that Kroger stopped doubling/tripling coupons! Btw...I haven't heard anything about when the Bible Study groups will be starting. Should we know that info yet, or will it be coming to us soon? Can't wait to hear how you do on your 2012 goals!

Lindsay said...

#4, 5 and 6 are on my list also! I started today with organizing and my dining room table is already filling up with things to donate, trash or sell! Feels so good!

Lauren said...

Katy- you must read the Hunger Games series if you haven't yet! That can start off your #6!

Happy New Year friend!

Kyle and Darci said...

Great resolutions!! And it's fun that you recapped last year.

I'm with ya on a few of those too!