Thursday, May 23, 2013

castaway cay

{Monday, May 13th- Castaway Cay, Bahamas}

We arrived at Disney's private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay (pronounced Key) around 8:30am.  I was really looking forward to this day because I had heard the island was beautiful and so nice.
We met a really nice couple at the pool the previous day and they told us to get off the ship as soon as we could.  They said there were a limited amount of hammocks on the adult only beach and you had to get there first to get one.  We took their advice and we ended up in a hammock next to them.  We ended up spending the rest of the day with them and actually hung out with them each day after this.  They were our cruise buddies! 
We spent the entire morning exploring the adult only part of the island for a little bit then mainly just relaxing.  It was so nice and peaceful and probably one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen!  My pictures don't even do it justice.

Our friends, Steve & L'Loni, had a little wireless speaker so while we were relaxing in our hammocks we had some nice beachy music playing in the background!
While we were on the beach we saw a stingray, a sand shark, some kind of a really long fish with a pointy nose, a two conch shells! 
 Around noon we stopped to eat lunch with Steve & L'Loni.  They had a BBQ lunch prepared for us by the ship crew.  Our dinner server Emily was actually working on the adult side of the island  so we got to see her!!
At 2:30 we had a stingray excursion on the family side of the island.
We got all our snorkel gear on then got trained to swim with the stingrays.
I felt like such a dork in my snorkel gear.  I told Matt I felt like I had a giant black swim top on with big saggy boobs since it covered up my entire top.  
We got to feed the stingrays before we snorkeled.  I wasn't able to get a picture of us doing that, though.  It felt so weird.  Their little mouth are like vacuums and they just sucked the shrimp and squid right out of our hands. 
After our excursion we grabbed an ice-cream cone and a drink, then explored the family side of the island. 
If you ever go on a Disney Cruise, make sure you go on one that stops here.  We absolutely loved our day at Castaway Cay!! It was one of our favorite stops on a cruise EVER!!

Our show before dinner was called Villians Tonight.  I didn't really care for the story line (but that's probably because I never like the villains), but the songs, costumes, and dances were great!!  There was also alot of pop culture humor that was pretty funny!!  At dinner we had another round of Philipino food in addition to our regular meal.  Our server really spoiled us!!
After dinner we took a picture with the Queen of Hearts then headed to bed early because we were pooped from being in the sun all day and we wanted to rest up before our day at Disney World!! 
We headed in early after dinner because we were pooped from being in the sun all day and we wanted to rest up before our day at Disney World!! 
Our stingray adventure wasn't over when we got to our room because we got to pet a stingray on our bed!!

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I've enjoyed reading about your cruise!! Makes me want to book one immediately!!!

Rachel Zimm said...

looks like an amazing island to spend the day! I am envious right now! :)

floral & fudge

jrandchels said...

I'm loving your cruise updates! I can't believe you got a baby-free Disney vacation. Can't wait to see your day at Disney!

Darci said...

Castaway cay looks beautiful! Pretty sure I'm going to start saving for our next vacation TODAY!! Looks so fun!

PS LOVE your dress...where did you get it?