Tuesday, May 07, 2013

pearson's 1st chore

Pearson has his first official chore!

{Unloading the dishwasher}

We haven't completely decided how we are going to chores in our house yet, but I do know I want to teach Pearson responsibility and I want him to learn to help out around the house. I really love my my old Pine Cove friend does responsibilities and privileges with her kids.  Each year, her and her husband give their kid an age appropriate responsibility and then also a priviledge.  Genius!! 

Unloading the dishwasher started out as a game with Pearson.  As soon as I would open it to unload he liked to just help pull everything out.  Now he actually knows where most stuff goes.  I pull out all the sharp stuff then he completely empties it on his own.  
He either hand the stuff to me to put up or he sets it on the counter under the cabinet where it belong. 
{Yep, we are high class over here with all of our plastic cups!!}
In the middle of unloading the dishwasher, he grabbed a cup that was full of water and dumped it all over him!! We lost the clothes and finished is chore in his diaper!
He doesn't like me to help.   He likes to get absolutely everything all by himself.  He doesn't say it yet, but I'm pretty sure pretty soon I'll hear him say, "I do it!" 
"Here Mommy!"
He doesn't like any help with putting the silverware up.  I know he feels like such a big boy when he puts up the silverware. 
And when he's finished he even closes the door. 
When Pearson unloads the dishwasher it takes us twice as long to finish, but I love that it is teaching him responsibilities.  

What chores around the house do your little ones help you out with?

9 comments:

Never Enough Food said...

Dusting! I buy the pledge wipes and my 3 year old dusts everything he can reach. It started out as a game but when I realized he was capable of doing a good job I made it a chore. It is awesome!

Erica Ladwig said...

Madelyn likes to help with unloading the dishwasher too! She also likes to rinse dishes off and hand them to me to put in the dishwasher, and she also likes to clean the table and counter tops. So pretty much any kitchen chore! :)

Alisa said...

I love you are doing this! Your patience in teaching him even if it takes twice as long will benefit you and him in the long run. In this age of entitlement mentality it is good to see you teaching him how to work, help out, and be responsible. Love, love, love, love it!

The Fenner's said...

Dylan brings his plates and everything to the sink now, and tomorrow he is getting his big bed so we are going to start working on makin his bed. He also makes sure his room is clean every night, though that means usually just throwing stuff into the hall;)

Unknown said...

I love this! I found your blog a couple of years ago through my hometown friend, Britni Johnson. I am a blog stalker, ha! What a great chore to start with. My daughter loves to bring in the dirty clothes from her and her sisters rooms and dump them in the washing machine. I can't wait for the day she actually loads the entire dishwasher!

Allie said...

That's too cute!!!

Unknown said...

great job momma!!!!! you're doing SUCH a good job raising your little guy :) keep honoring the Lord in your parenting!

The Sharps said...

We have Jackson take his dishes to the sink. He is also in charge of helping to take his dirty clothes to the laundry room and put away the clean ones. He loves heping to unload the dishwasher as well. Good for you for taking the time to teach him these things early. It sometimes takes more time to have them help, but its such an important lesson.

Amy said...

Such a good idea, and if he enjoys it - all the better! I am going to remember this!