Wednesday, September 11, 2013

annie sloan obsessed

So THIS finally happened. 

I've been saying for months that I was going to repaint this hall tree but it just hadn't happened. On Labor Day Matt and I headed to High Street Antiques to pick up some Annie Sloan Chalk paint. They have a little boutique in the Anitque Store where they sell her paint. If you haven't heard about her paint you can read all about it here. (http://www.anniesloan.com/) It's a little pricey, but SO worth it because it is practically fool proof. The paint is $38.95 a can and the wax is $27.95 a can. It's very forgiving and super easy to use! Oh and did I mention that you don't have to sand or prime!!!
I used Provence! Isn't it pretty!! Just the pop of color I was going for in my kitchen!!
I started with this little $3 chair I got at a garage sale. I wanted to try the paint out on something small before I did my big hall tree.
After the paint dried on the chair I went ahead and started the first coat of paint on the hall tree. I could tell it was pretty easy to use and I wasn't going to screw it up.
I did two coats of paint on both pieces. In all if the tutorials they say you can paint in an x motion or swirly motion. You don't have to worry about brush strokes showing. The panel on the left is the first cost. You can see lots of brush strokes and lots of wood through the paint. It was amazing to see how th second coat of paint just covered it all up. The right panel has a second cost. It looks lighter because it just hadn't had a chance to dry.
It takes about 30 minutes for each coat of paint to dry. It dries super fast. I waited a few hours for my second coat to dry then I added the soft wax. The soft wax makes the piece have a finished look, gives it a little sheen and seals the paint. I decided not to do the dark wax on top, but that is also an option if you want a more rustic shabby look. I was going for finished clean look so the soft wax was perfect for me!!

Here is a picture of Pearson's little chair all finished!!
And here is my hall tree all finished!! I'm in love.
I can't believe I was able to finished this project so quick! I started at 10am after we got Oearson dropped off at school and finished at 5pm when he woke up from his nap. That was even with an hour break for lunch and an hour break to pick him up from school and get Dairy Queen.

Now I'm trying to decide which piece of furniture I want to paint next. I've got a coffe table and entry hall table that are screaming to be painted. My kitchen table could also use some updating. And as soon as we find out the sex of our baby I've got a bookshelf I want to paint for his or her room!!

Seriously I'm obsessed with Annie Sloan paint!! Just search for it on Pinterest and you can see tons of cute pieces of furniture!!

8 comments:

The Fenner's said...

Love love love! I'm going to have to get some and try it on a peice of ikea stuff! Wonder if it really sticks to anything??? We are redoing the play room and I want to add a bookcase I have in another room! Oh the possibilities!

Kasey said...

It turned out really pretty! I'm planning on using chalk paint on my bathroom cabinets when I can finally decide on a color. I have a friend who makes her own chalk paint (recipe on Pinterest), but I'm afraid to do something as important as cabinets in homemade chalk paint.

Hooked on the Howards said...

Ok, you've sold me! I am going to buy some to paint my kitchen table and for our new headboard we are making. And I'm pretty sure there are several other things I can find to paint. PS - how much paint did you have leftover?

Lolly said...

I love the way my bags look on that hall tree. I wish I had something like that to photogragh my stuff (with the right sunlight). Y'all did a great job - I love it.

Sara @ The Crazy Cozads said...

Great color! Really pops against the red walls!

Darci said...

love it katy!! i have never heard of that paint...going to have to give it a try, I love to give old things a new look!

Lindsay said...

It turned out great! I still haven't had a chance to paint my stuff but I'm excited to try.

Jenica Raney said...

Looks awesome, Katy! How much paint did these two things end up using from that can?