Wednesday, June 15, 2011

{Pearson's Story} Chapter 1: How It All Started

Preface: I want to remember every last detail of Pearson's Story, so there might be details in here you don't care to read about.  If you don't want to read the whole story, just skip through the words and look at the pictures!! There's quite a few!!

I feel like my labor actually lasted over the course of three days.  It was crazy!!  It all started on Tuesday June 14th, when I went to the doctor with my Mom for my 39 week appointment.  She checked me and I was 1cm dialated and 75% effaced.  She also said his head was very low.  We went ahead and got all the paperwork ready for me to admitted into the hospital Monday night and induce Tuesday the 21st if he didn't come on his own.  We both kind of thought that he would come on his own though.  I came home and took it easy on the couch for the rest of the afternoon.  I was having Braxton Hicks contractions just about every 15 minutes all evening.  I knew they weren't real contractions because they didn't feel different so I didn't think anything of it.  Around 3:30pm I went to the bathroom and I had lost my mucous plug or had my "bloody show".  According to my books this can mean that labor could happen any time or it might still be weeks.  I kind of told myself it could happen anytime.  Matt and I ate dinner at my parents house, came home and straighten the house and relaxed on the couch.  I spent the evening writing my Letter to Pearson.  Matt had planned on taking Wednesday through Friday off just so we could spend time together, so we talked about what we wanted to do the next day.  We talked about going to the movies, going to In N Out Burger, and even going to Pappasito's for 1/2 price fajitas.  We never made official plans, we just said we would talk about it in the morning after we slept in.  I think we couldn't really make any plans because we both thought we might be having a baby joining us the next day.  

Sure enough, I woke up at 12:05am with my first contraction. I knew it wasn't a Braxton Hicks contraction because it felt like really bad menstrual cramps.  This went on for a few hours with the contractions being 15-20 minutes apart.  I never really timed them because I would fall asleep after each contraction and then forget what time the last one was at.  Around 2am the contractions started picking up and I couldn't really sleep well.  I sat up in the bed and timed the contractions with an app on my iPhone.  The contractions were anywhere from 7-10 minutes apart.  We were told to call the hospital when the contractions were 5 minutes apart so I thought this could be very soon.  I decided to get out of bed and put the final touches on Pearson's letter.  I wanted to have it posted before he was born!!  I had to put all the pictures in the post.  All the while, I was still timing contractions.  They were so random.  They would vary anywhere from 5-10 minutes apart.  

I finally called my Mom at 4:30am to ask her what I should do.  She said since they weren't consistently 5 minutes apart that I should go back to bed and get as much rest as I could and call the doctor first thing in the morning when they open.  I did what she said.  I went back to sleep as best I could.  I woke up every time I had a contraction.  Sometime during this time, my contractions changed from really bad menstrual cramps to awful back pain.  At 7:30am I could no longer sleep, so I got up and took a shower and got ready for the day.  I started to make a list of all the things we needed to do before we went to the hospital because I knew we would be going sometime today, I just didn't know when.  On my list were a few little errands, so we packed up the car so we would be ready for the hospital if we needed to go, dropped Izzie off at my parents house and ran a few errands.  We stopped at Chick-fil-A for lunch and by this point my contractions were consistently 15 minutes apart, but hurting my back really bad.  

From 12pm-4pm, I continued to have contractions but they were still at random increments.  They would not get consistent, but they were getting more and more painful in my back.  I laid down in the bedroom and read blogs while Matt watched a movie.  I decided to call the doctor before they closed for the day because if they didn't tell me to go ahead and check into the hospital I wanted my doctor to check me in her office before she left for the day.  By the time the doctor called back my contractions were pretty consistently at 7 minutes apart so they told us to come on in!! 

We were finally headed to the hospital to have our baby!!  We left the house around 4pm.  
We were so excited!!