Tuesday, June 12, 2012

meatloaf meatballs

I don't know about you, but I actually like meatloaf.  I really only like my Mom and Grandma's meatloaf.  It's the best.  I tried making it once, but it just wasn't as good as theirs, so I swore I would never make it again.  It will forever be a treat to eat when they fixed it!!  

However, when my Mom stumbled across this recipe on the side of a Corn Flakes box, I knew it was the meatloaf recipe for me.  My Mom tweaked it a little from the original recipe and now it is one of our favorites.  Pearson even loves it too!!

Meatloaf Meatballs
Meatballs:
2 cups of Corn Flakes (lightly crushed)
2 tablespoons of Ketchup
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 pound of lean ground beef

Sauce:
1/2 cup of Ketchup
1-2 teaspoons of Mustard
1-2 tablespoons of Brown Sugar
Optional: Red Peppers

In a large mixing bowl, combine Corn Flakes, ketchup and egg.  Mix in ground beef.  (I just used my hands.) Shape in 1 1/4-inch meatballs.  Place on a greased broiler pan.  I use a broiler pan so the grease can drip out.  (This is one reason I love this recipe.  Meatloaf is always so greasy and this recipe isn't) Broil on one side for 5-7 minutes then turn and broil on the other side for 5-7 minutes.  

Transfer the meatballs to a glass pan.  Mix together the ketchup, mustard and brown sugar and top the meatballs.  I like to top mine with red bell peppers.  Bake the meatballs at 350 for 20 minutes!
This recipe makes about 16 meatballs.  It was enough for all three of us to eat dinner one night and then Pearson and I had it for leftovers for two days!!  It's such an easy recipe.  

And here's one more thing I love about this recipe.........  If you want to double the recipe, you can just broil the meatballs and then freeze them.  When you are ready to eat them, just pull out however many meatballs you need, make the sauce, top them, and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious! I will have to try it one night. Thanks for posting!

Alicia said...

Ok those look super yummy and I will so have to put these on the menu! YUM!

fancyashstyle said...

Carson also loves nonnie & lolly's meatloaf. It's definitely a treat for him because Ryan & I don't like it so I never make it! He stared at P's picture for like two minutes when I was reading this. He bought a little car thing at hobby lobby to give to Pearson today. He loves his little cousin.

The Fenner's said...

I love meatloaf. I make one that has pureed mushrooms in it.. it's delightful. Dylan loves meatloaf, and meatballs, so I'll give this one a shot!